Tuesday, September 3, 2013

We Survived Our First Day of Cyber School!!!

     
Well, nothing ever goes according to planned but somehow it always manages to work out.  According to my carefully and meticulously laid out school schedule my sons and I were suppose to start by 9:00AM and be finished no later than 4:00PM if not earlier.  HA!  We officially started around 9:20AM and was finished approximately 9 hours later, YOU do the Math!  Now don't misunderstand me we did not work all of those hours because there was a lunch break, recess, bathroom breaks and "I need to stand and stretch breaks." For the most part following the curriculum of Commonwealth Connections Academy Charter School is easy and straightforward.  Since I love being on the computer and I didn't have any technological issues I can honestly say that working from an online curriculum in the capacity of a Learning Coach was a cakewalk especially since everything is already set up for you. My sons and I all agree that it seems to be much more work than a brick and mortar school and they have projects to work on already and this is only the FIRST day!!! Our schedule got turned around because I did not find out until trying to get them logged in for the Live Lessons that the Live Lessons portions of subjects do not begin until September 9th but we know now for the rest of the week.

     The issues that I did encounter stemmed from my two sons who I lovingly like to call "the dynamic duo." They are still in "summer brain vacation mode" and getting them to pay attention and stay focused was a challenge.  Unfortunately, for them and me I wasn't able to ease them into their lessons it was full blown lessons which consisted of them working on the laptop, reading from their textbooks, workbook assignments, writing in notebooks and on looseleaf paper, setting up folders AND taking Math and Reading Assessment tests. Oh, and I almost forgot they also had a Spelling Pretest. So needless to say we had a VERY FULL first day of Cyber School.  

     I have to keep in the back of my head that this is new for them as well as for me and it's going to take baby steps for all of us to come to a happy medium on how we want our days to progress. I MUST make time for them both to get up and "GET THE SILLIES OUT!"  That way we will all avoid becoming stressed out and irritable. Were my feelings hurt when my oldest son Jason (older by 1 minute) said that he wanted to go back to his old school?  Nope because I have to remember that he has feelings also and I have to validate them. Now did I entertain his statement?  Of course not, we've been down this road many times before and I'm sure we'll go down them many more. My sons are learning at an early age that sometimes change is good not just for them but for all involved.  This journey is a labor of love and I'm in it to win it!
     May peace, love and blessings follow you all the days of your life. 


No comments:

Post a Comment